Monday 29 April 2013

The Monday Meme... No 6. The Directors Cut.

As a TV News Cameraman, I don't come into contact with Directors. You know the type... The unique visionary with an ego the size of your average film catering truck but without the filling.

This is me with my Director, Oliver Tobias. He liked to point... A lot.

Having worked on a few documentaries and corporate films though I have, once or twice, worked with these supernatural beings of creativity. I have soaked up their aura of invincible knowledge and as such learned a thing or two about how to pan, tilt or zoom at the right time and at the right object.

I don't know how I would have got so far in my career without such direction from these eminent luminaries of our industry. Especially the younger ones who, having recently graduated from film school know everything there is to know and are keen to pass on that knowledge to their cameramen.

They like to shout... "Cut..!" And more importantly... "Aaand, Action..!" A lot. They like to wear skinny jeans, thick rimmed hipster glasses, weird scarves and trendy t-shirts with abstract slogans.

They also say things like... "OK everyone, take five... Clarissa, can I get a skinny Mocha Capoh with choc sprinkles..?"

Ponces.

But more importantly, they like to point at stuff, framing it between their thumbs and fingers and saying such things as... "I like the intensity of this framing, but could you make it a little more... Edgy..?"

Directors... Don't you just love 'em..?

Paul Martin is @ukcameraman on Twitter.

www.media-attention.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment